Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Just Missed U2 at the Waldorf

U2 - I missed you by a few minutes

It was Monday 3/14 in the early evening, and I had just come back from a long walk in Manhattan to my hotel at the Waldorf Astoria. I approached the entrance as I noticed a line of limousines parked out front and a mob of people begin to form. I was curious to see what the fuss was all about and turned to some dude dressed in all black armed with a digital camera trying to jockey for position. I asked him what was going on. He looked at me with a smug face (as if I should know) and said that there was some big rock 'n roll event at the Waldorf. "Cool," I thought, but I wasn't going to wait around to see who was about to come out of the limousines, so I walked through the crowds, and up through the crystal chandeliered lobby where more people were ready to catch a picture of the so-called "rockstars." These people are nuts I thought to myself as I went up to my room.

Then, I woke up this morning and opened the paper and what does it say, U2 Inducted into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame at the Waldorf Astoria on Monday 3/14... WHAT?I couldn't believe it. I missed my favorite band in the world by a matter of minutes. How stupid could I have been? This was definitely some wierd twist of fate!

-Marvin A.

No comments: